How can God use you in His Mission?
Join a Missional Communities Team
Each year, more than 800 volunteers serve in over 40 teams across Victoria. On an SU Mission, volunteers will learn new skills and grow in personal leadership.
We live in community, and share the love and message of Jesus in creative and relevant ways through our relationships, conversations and in program activities.
Mission doesn’t end when we go home – we keep in contact with the friends we make.
If you've already joined a team, you can update your application on JAT here.
SU Missions are an affordable and accessible way to experience a short term mission in your own backyard. You don’t even need a passport or an expensive airfare! Costs vary according to locations, but are approximately $250 including meals, accommodation, program and team costs.
SUFMs and Theos are held between Christmas and mid January, and last between 7 and 14 days. Most of the missions are in holiday locations across the coast; some are in country and urban locations. Teams live in community in a caravan park or a local church hall.
EXPECTATIONS OF SU MISSIONS VOLUNTEERS
People applying to be on a team need to:
- have an active Christian faith
- agree with SU’s aims and beliefs
- be committed to helping children, young people and families experience God’s love and Good News.
- be willing to attend all training events
- be willing to operate in a team, and serve team members.
HOW DO I JOIN?
- Be 16 years or older – young and older adults are needed including families
- If you're interested in being a junior leader on a summer camp, see more info here
- Have two referees – including your church leader who knows you well
- Apply for or have a current Working With Children Check, and have SU listed as an organisation (click here to update your details or add SU as an organisation)
Each team has planning and training meetings throughout the year. There is also a compulsory team training weekend usually held at the mission location at the end of November / start of December.
All volunteers are required to attend our Victorian Training Day, Torque. Each year this day includes more than 45 workshops to equip you for mission with children, young people and families in our secular culture.
If you’ve been invited to apply for the role of a director you can fill out your application form here.
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on (03) 9482 5700 and ask to speak to a Director or member of an SU Mission team.